Call for Volunteers – Welfare Rights Centre
The Welfare Rights Centre (WRC) is seeking dedicated people to join its team of solicitors, caseworkers and community workers as volunteers.
There are multiple volunteer positions available over Semester 1, 2020 and beyond over the winter break into Semester 2, 2020. We are seeking volunteers for our casework and administration shifts.
Volunteers perform a variety of research and legal preparation work as well as assisting with office and administrative work. Responsibilities include paralegal and administrative duties, taking client instructions during advice shifts, research, and minor casework, reviewing documents, management of incoming calls and urgent enquiries and supporting the office administrator. You will receive an induction and supervision.
What we require from you
Student volunteers must agree to:
- contribute a half day per week for a six month period;
- provide notice if you are unable to meet commitments; and
- accept the terms and conditions of the confidentiality agreement.
What we offer you in return
The Centre offers volunteers:
- a supportive working environment;
- a comprehensive induction program;
- the opportunity to assist with paralegal work;
- participation in any Welfare Rights community legal education session; and
- a range of experiences in a community legal service.
Previous volunteering experience, a commitment to human rights and social justice, an understanding of the issues that affect people with social security issues and a capacity to problem-solve will be an advantage. You will have administrative and organisational skills, and the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders in a confident and a respectful manner. You will also need initiative and a sense of humour. Please note these are unpaid positions.
How to Apply:
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your CV
- Completed selection criteria form – Download Here.
- Completed application form – Download Here.
For more information please telephone Benjamin Jackson
(02) 9211 5389.
Applications without a response to the application form questions and selection criteria questions will not be considered.
Applications close Monday 20 January 2020.