Call for Volunteers – Welfare Rights Centre
The Welfare Rights Centre (WRC) is seeking dedicated people to join its team of solicitors and caseworkers as volunteers.
There are multiple volunteer positions available in 2017. We are seeking volunteers for our advice shifts and volunteers for our casework and administration.
Volunteers perform a variety of research and legal preparation work as well as assisting with office and administrative work. Responsibilities include paralegal and administrative duties, taking client instructions during advice shifts, research, minor casework, reviewing documents, management of incoming calls and urgent enquiries and supporting the office administrator. You will receive an induction and supervision.
What we require from you
Student volunteers must agree to:
- contribute a half day per week for a six month period
- provide adequate notice if you are unable to meet commitments, and
- accept the terms and conditions of the confidentiality agreement.
What we offer you in return
The Centre offers volunteers:
- a supportive working environment,
- an induction program,
- the opportunity to participate in any Welfare Rights training courses in social security law, and
- a range of experiences in a community legal service.
Previous volunteering experience, a commitment to human rights and social justice, an understanding of the issues that affect people with social security issues and a capacity to problem-solve will be an advantage. You will have administrative and organisational experience, and have the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders in a confident and a respectful manner. You will also need initiative and a sense of humour.
These are unpaid positions.
Applications are due Sunday October 29.